Tuesday 8 September 2015

Short film noir task

In order to gain a better understanding of the film noir movement/genre, our class was given the task of producing a minute long film noir in small groups. Mariella and previous group (Aayush, Ashley, Benoit and myself) from the AS course began this task by story boarding a small idea.



We aimed to include many features from generic film noir shots, i.e. vertical and horizontal lines and positioning of characters in frame. We maintained these ideas throughout filming, although decided to alter some shots due to lacking the set required. We instead had to adapt the film to the best suited location available- the hall stage. We opted for this location mostly due to the dark lighting, this enabled us to form shadows using lamps, giving us more control. Despite this, the lights we had aquired were fairly weak, causing a lot of the shots to be very dark in black & white, we fixed this as much as we could in editing.


Throughout the filming process I think the group, including myself, shared many skills in effect developing them further. Most importantly I feel we improved on communication skills as we all had an input into the direction of the clip.Furthering this, I feel my understanding of the genre has increased greatly, and even out of film noir I can see many conventions of it to be useful in film making. In particular utilizing the use of lighting and it's  possible connotations when filming may prove useful in my A2 short film.


No comments:

Post a Comment