Friday 19 June 2015

Music video brief overview

This brief consists of three tasks: 
  • to create a cover for its release as part of a digipack (CD/DVD package)
  • to create a magazine advertisement for the digipack (CD/DVD package)
  • to create a music video for a song of my choice
I feel that if I were to choose this brief I would begin with the digipack after deciding on the song. This, being a fairly sort task, would leave me a lot of time to complete the other two tasks which appear to be far more time-consuming and difficult.
To get a feel of what a finished product should look like I decided to watch multiple music videos that previous AS students had made for their final piece. I have found that many of the music videos achieving high grades are very similar to short films as they tell a short story, and often times the videos seem to have a short and disappointing narrative which is hard to follow in comparison to a short film. Therefore I feel that the whole music side of the video is more a burden as it restricts creators from writing their own plot and giving their own meaning in some way- they have to follow the narrative of the chosen song.



Some digipacks I found were very creative and clearly had a lot of work put into them, inferring that this part of the course may take me a lot of time, possibly all Summer and more. However, after reading into the mark criteria I have found that to achieve high marks this task is more to do with professionalism and relation to my final music video product. Therefore, the work put into this task may be spread out over the whole year as oppose to what I previously thought, finishing it within a month or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment